THE january 24 PARENT PULSE
Prep Student in Need of Host Family
There is a young man at Prep who is looking for a host family for the rest of the semester, if there is anyone interested, please email Josh Luedtke or call him at 402-548-3872. Thanks.
$500 Scholarship Available For a Freshman Student
Danny Poulos, a member of the Class of 2019, is giving back to Prep by creating the Danny H. Poulos III Leadership Scholarship. It will be available to the freshman student (Class of 2023) who writes the best answer to the following two questions in 500 words or less:
- What makes you a leader?
- How will you continue your leadership at Creighton Prep?
Freshmen just need to email their answers to Advancement@CreightonPrep.org by January 31, and the winner will be announced on March 23.
Catholic Schools Week Service Project
On February 1st, students from Prep and Marian will be working with Restoring Dignity to do a home makeover project for a Karenni refugee family living in Omaha. Campus Ministry is looking for volunteers to help load and unload the truck from 8-10 a.m. and volunteers to help set up the home from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The Prep and Marian students will have lunch together with the family after cleaning, organizing and moving the furniture and household items for them. If your son would like to volunteer, please have him contact Dave Lawler in the Campus Ministry Office.
There are still some more household items we are looking to collect for the family. You can sign up here to donate an item and drop off donations in the Campus Ministry Office. Click here to learn more about the family we are helping. Thanks for your generosity!
Help Make BASH Is Golden a Success
Bash Is Golden "Celebrating 50 Years of Building A Scholastic Heritage" will be held in the Heider Center at Creighton Prep on Saturday, April 25, just 92 days away as of Friday, January 24.
- The monies raised during BASH are a key component in our ability to keep tuition affordable for everyone and to provide $2.5 million annually in financial assistance to approximately 52 percent of our students.
- BASH is a great way to meet new people and get involved with the Prep community!
How can you participate?
Donate an Auction Item
Donate a gift or make a monetary donation to support the live auction, silent auction or eBASH (online) auction.
If you’re unsure of what to donate, members of the BASH team have created a SignUpGenius page to make it easy for you.
To donate an auction item, email Amy Knight or click HERE. The auction donation deadline is February 10.
Attend the Patron Party
- Saturday, April 4 at the home of Prep parents Missi and John Schembari.
- A great event where Prep supporters gather in advance of BASH.
- Details on registering will be communicated in a future Parent Pulse.
Become a Premier Partner Sponsor
A Premier Partner sponsorship includes:
- Special recognition in the BASH 2020 catalog and during the event.
- A full-page catalog ad.
- A digital ad on BidPal, our mobile bidding platform.
- Four tickets to the BASH Patron Party on Saturday, April 4.
- A table for 10 people at BASH 2020, a dedicated waiter and preferred valet parking.
See more on Premier Partner Sponsor options and become a Premier Partner Sponsor.
Buy or Sell Raffle Tickets
- Help us sell raffle tickets for a grand prize drawing of $10,000.
- Tickets are $100, 3 for $250, 7 for $500 or 15 for $1000.
- Tickets go on sale tomorrow (January 25).
- Contact Amy Knight for more info.
- Purchase a ticket from your son who has or will soon be receiving a ticket to sell.
- BASH 2020 Student-Faculty-Staff Raffle Program highlights:
- If sales reach $12,000 by February 21 - hoodies and sweatpants from Feb. 24-28.
- If sales reach $35,000 by March 31 - hoodies and sweatpants for the month of April.
- If sales reach $50,000 by April 25 - NO SCHOOL on Thursday, April 30.
- Two drawings for $100 on Feb. 28, March 6 and 20, April 3 and 17 (one student and one faculty/staff winner per drawing).
- Top seller in each grade: $500 cash the week of April 27.
Purchase a Catalog Advertisement
- Advertise your business in our BASH Is Golden 2020 catalog.
- A variety of opportunities are available for businesses of all sizes.
- Click HERE to purchase a catalog advertisement.
- The catalog advertising deadline is March 16.
- We rely on hundreds of volunteers to make BASH a success.
- Sign up now to help, and meet great people!
- If you have questions, email Amy Knight or call 402-548-3858.
BASH is a big undertaking, but with the help of our Prep community members, we come together each year to put together a successful event in support of our students – and have a little fun along the way!
We look forward to partnering with you.
Father-Son Mass & Breakfast – This Sunday
We look forward to seeing everyone who has registered for the Creighton Prep Father-Son Mass and Breakfast this Sunday, January 26 at 10 a.m.
Online registration for the event is now closed. However, if you have questions or need additional information before 4 p.m. today, please email Grace Cominoli or call 402-548-3881. If you have questions or need additional information after 4 p.m. today, please call Amy Knight at 402-670-4774.
The location for Sunday’s event:
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Omaha-La Vista Hotel & Conference Center
- The Windsor Ballroom
- 12520 Westport Parkway (conference center entrance)
The Rosary to Support Freshman Retreat – Thursday, February 6
The Prep community is cordially invited to the Rosary to Support Freshman Retreat on Thursday, February 6 at 6:15 p.m. at St. Margaret Mary Catholic Church (6116 Dodge Street). Freshman parents should drop off their sons at Prep prior to attending.
This beautiful and meaningful event intensifies the prayer by mentioning each student by name. It is a powerful way for parents to be involved in the retreat without actually being there.
The Rosary to Support Freshman Retreat is organized by CP Parents Praying with St. Ignatius. If you have questions or would like to assist with the Rosary, please contact Jeanne Schulte.
Register for Mom Prom 2020 – Sunday, February 9
Register you and your son today for this 37th annual event that is a Creighton Prep tradition. Mom Prom 2020 “A Midwinter Night’s Dream” is also an opportunity for Prep mothers and sons to spend an evening together and raise money for the April post prom party.
- Sunday, February 9.
- CHI Health Center - 455 North 10th Street.
- Attire: Cocktail attire for moms, Prep formal dress for the boys.
- 5 p.m. social hour.
- 6 p.m. dinner.
- 7 p.m. dancing.
- Winning raffle tickets drawn during dessert so bring cash for great prizes.
- Click HERE to register online by February 3 at 4 p.m.
- Click HERE to donate to the raffle.
- Order and prepay for photos from Jeremy Johnson Photography.
- Use passcode CPMS.
- Website open for orders until 11:59 p.m. that evening.
- Portraits taken at Mom Prom from 5-9 p.m.; selfie photo booth also available.
See the postcard invitation that parents are receiving.
Register for CP Trivia Night – Friday, February 21
Register your table of eight now for this fun annual event in the commons! (Cost: $240.)
- Social hour at 6 p.m.; questions at 7 p.m.
- Participants must be 21.
- Festive tables and costumes highly encouraged but not required. (No decorations beyond the sides of the table or obscuring views of the podium.)
- Bring your own food and beverages. (A small supply of beer, wine and soda will be available for purchase.)
- Seating limited to the first 50 teams that have paid in full.
Email Nolan Searl ’09 or call 402-393-1190 Ext. 3312 for more information.
6th/7th Grade Pre-Entrance Exam – Saturday, February 22
Please remind prospective Prep students and their parents that the 6th/7th Grade Pre-Entrance Exam will take place on Saturday, February 22 at Creighton Prep. The cost is $10, and parents can register their sons and pay online HERE.
On the day of the exam, students should
- Bring two #2 pencils (no calculators).
- Enter the building from the west parking lot.
- Arrive for check-in starting at 7:30 a.m.
At 7:45 a.m., they will be directed to a classroom where testing will begin at 8 a.m. Parents can pick up students in the west parking lot starting at approximately 11:30 a.m.
Email Josh Luedtke, Director of Admissions, with any questions or call him at 402-393-1256.
Attend the Athletic Hall of Fame Dinner & Induction Ceremony – Monday, March 9
Creighton Prep is proud to recognize alumni, coaches and supporters for outstanding contributions to the athletic program at the school. Their commitment, achievement and sense of sportsmanship set the standard for the young athletes who follow in their footsteps today.
On Monday, March 9, you are cordially invited to the Athletic Hall of Fame Dinner & Induction Ceremony in the Sullivan Center, recognizing the 2020 Hall of Fame honorees:
1980 Football Team
1981 Baseball Team
Joe George '68
Jim Jacobsen '69
John Bendon '78 +
Greg Barrios '86
Tom Beck ‘84
On that night, please join us for a cocktail reception at 6 p.m. followed by a dinner and program at 7 p.m. Parking will be available in the west lot.
Tickets are $60 per person. Click HERE to register.
To nominate a former Creighton Prep team, athlete, coach or contributor for consideration to a future Athletic Hall of Fame class, click HERE.
CyberPatriots Win First and Second at State
Our varsity and JV CyberPatriot teams won first and second at the state competition in December. Saturday, they advance to the semifinal round finding and fixing cybersecurity vulnerabilities. Good luck.
Congratulations to Academic Decathlon
Congratulations to the Academic Decathlon team on winning their regional at Central over the weekend, where every member of the team medaled. Team members are: William Bolay, Dean Davis, Daniel Deras, Connor Gregg (top team scorer), Charlie Hough, Daniel Kleinsmith, Brian Martin, Daniel Meyer, Owen Morrow, Patrick Rogers Paul Szalewski and Elijah Warren. Special thanks go to managers Ryan Plambeck and Peter Szalewski. Your coaches are proud of how hard you competed this year, team.
Robotics Teams Advance to Super Qualifier
Congratulations to two of Creighton Prep’s FIRST Tech Challenge robotics teams for moving past the league meet and continuing on to the Iowa Super Qualifier in February. Additionally, Team 17111 represented by Major Rhotem, Joseph Romero and Mani Bakou won the "Recycle" award and competed in the final alliance matches.
Tom Beck '84 Named Midwest Section Swim Coach of the Year
Head Swim and Dive Coach Tom Beck ’84 was named by the National Federation of High Schools as the Midwest Section Swim Coach of the Year for 2018-19. Congratulations and well-deserved!
Congressional App Challenge Winners
Congressman Don Bacon visited Creighton Prep to congratulate the students who won the 2019 Congressional App Challenge for Nebraska’s second district. The congressman presented senior Ben Hall and juniors Cian Weekly and Kevin Prososki with certificates and invited them to the annual House of Code ceremony held at the nation’s capital in the spring.
While at Prep, Congressman Bacon also visited with AP Government students. He shared some political insights and fielded topical questions from them.
Film Students’ Work Selected for Omaha Film Festival
Seniors Cooper Watkins, Evan Eggers, and Gabriel Foreman-Albers collaborated on a short western film titled "The Last Showdown" that was selected by the Omaha Film Festival. Their film, which was one of 90 chosen to be screened, will be shown during the festival from March 3-8, 2020 at Aksarben Cinema in Omaha.
Voting Begins Monday in the Spirit 102.7 FM Superstar Catholic School Contest
Vote for Creighton Prep in the annual Superstar Catholic School Contest presented by Spirit Catholic Radio from January 27 through February 8. You have two weeks to vote online at spiritcatholicradio.com/superstar. Last year Prep won in the Class A high school category. Let’s continue the winning tradition.
Support Coaches vs. Cancer
Creighton Prep is pleased once again to participate in the Coaches vs. Cancer campaign throughout the month of January to benefit the American Cancer Society. Donate online to help this worthy cause. Thank you!
Keep up to date on Creighton Prep
Bookmark our desktop or mobile home pages. Like us on Facebook. Or follow us on Twitter and Instagram!