CHristian Service program
Service Requirements at Creighton Prep
Prep’s mission is to form young men of faith, scholarship, leadership, and service in the Jesuit and Catholic tradition. Prep students (beginning with the class of 2018) are required to complete a minimum of 50 hours of service during their tenure at Prep. All service hours that Prep students complete must involve direct contact with people who are materially poor or marginalized in our society.
Freshman Year – Required
Freshmen are required to complete three hours of service with Prep Big Brothers in the fall semester. The senior big brothers will provide transportation from Prep to the service site on the required service day for freshmen.
Sophomore Year - Required
Sophomores complete seven hours of service through the Faces of Christ Retreat. Students spend a day volunteering at the Heart Ministry Center.
Junior Year – Required (one of two options)
Juniors are required to take Catholic Social Teaching OR Catholic Social Teaching Plus, both of which have a service-learning component.
- Catholic Social Teaching Plus is a two-block course that has a 40 hour service project that is completed during the school day. Students who take CST Plus fulfill their service requirement through this course. Students are required to provide their own transportation to and from their service site.
- Catholic Social Teaching is a one-block course that has a 20 hour service project that is completed outside of school hours. Students are required to provide their own transportation to and from their service site.
Senior Year – Required or Optional
Seniors who have NOT already fulfilled their 50 hour service requirement have several service opportunities available to them to fulfill their requirement.
- Seniors can take the Arrupe Experience which is a service-learning course that provides release time during the school day for students to complete their service project.
- Seniors who choose NOT to take the Arrupe Experience can complete their their requirement by signing up for a 20 hour service project to be completed outside of the school day (the same project students complete for Catholic Social Teaching). Students can also complete their required hours through one of Prep’s service clubs (Operation Others, CMAB Service Committee, Jesuit Academy/Hillside Tutoring, Habitat for Humanity Club) or by going on a summer service trip.
Other Service Opportunities
Students can contact Prep’s Service Coordinator to participate in any of the following service activities.
- Participating in Operation Others, which is a program that provides food assistance to families at Christmas.
- Serving the evening meal at the Siena/Francis House homeless shelter.
- Tutoring at Jesuit Academy or Hillside Elementary.
- Helping to build a home for people in need by joining Prep’s Habitat for Humanity Club.
- Helping to set up an apartment/home for a refugee family that Prep sponsors each semester.
- Participating in a service trip to the Dominican Republic, Mexico, or the Rosebud Reservation.