Dear friends and former swimmers,
The Prep swimmers & divers are looking forward to another great opportunity to take their team on the road and compete against a few of the best teams in the country at the end of January. The travel meet has been a tradition of the team for many years now. I've taken teams to travel meets since 1995, and I remember traveling to Des Moines for dual meets back when I swam in the early 80's (my first per diem - $5 for a McDonalds meal, I thought it was the coolest thing!). These meets provide the swimmers with many great benefits: opportunity to bond with teammates on the long road (or plane) trip and during the meals and activities we do apart from the meet; chance to see other parts of the country and experience their culture and traditions; chance to meet and compete against student-athletes from other states who may provide different challenges than what we see at local meets; a highly focused team effort that often matches or exceeds what they do at our state championships; a memory that stays with them for a lifetime.
Creighton Prep Swimming is in the midst of our most successful stretch of seasons ever. We've been state champs the past ten years (breaking the all-time Nebraska high school record for swimming), and 17 out of the past 21 years. We have a team of 35 swimmers and 4 divers this season, 14 of whom have previous state meet experience. The team is really pushing each other hard in practices this year in hopes of having a strong finish to the season.
I believe a big reason for our team success has been our tradition, since 1995, of taking a team travel trip with overnight stay to find great competition and fast pools. The trips we’ve taken:
- 1995- 2006 Mo-Kan Invitational in Kansas City, MO. Great pool, top teams from Iowa, Missouri and Kansas. The trip always concluded with a feast at Gates BBQ, often with the meet trophy.
- 2007-8 Seattle Kentridge Invite, at the King County Aquatic Center, location of the 1990 Goodwill Games and numerous USA Swimming and NCAA National Championship Meets. We won the 2007 and 2008 meets, defeating perennial WA state champion Mercer Island in 2008.
- 2009 we traveled by bus to Louisville, Kentucky swimming against St. Xavier, the 5th ranked team in the 2008 national rankings. In a small pool arena which proved a great environment for a high school dual meet, a very spirited Prep team shocked the host team with an upset victory. The Prep swimmers and a group of parents had a great trip, visiting Churchill Downs and the Muhammad Ali Museum.
- 2010 we took a bus to Chicago to face the number 2 team in the country, New Trier, at the Hinsdale Central Red Devil Invitational. We outscored New Trier in the swimming events and overall finished a close 2nd to them in the final standings.
- 2012 after a year of not being able to find anyone to dual us, we headed back to the Seattle Kentridge Invite in 2012, winning the meet again and taking a large contingent of parents as well.
- 2013 we returned to Seattle with a large group of parents coming to cheer us on to another team victory.
- 2014-16 we competed at the Maroon & Gold Invitational at the University of Minnesota (one of the top swimming & diving facilities in the country, site of numerous USA Swimming and NCAA Championship Meets) with a dual meet at traditional Minnesota power Minnetonka the night before the invite in 2014, and a dual with Lincoln SW at UNO the night before the invite in 2015. Prep won both 2014 & 2015 invites. In 2015, we defeated Wisconsin state champion Madison Memorial in a very exciting meet, winning by ½ of a point! In 2016, in another very exciting finish, Prep was 6 points behind meet champion Eden Prairie (MN), and just ahead of Wisconsin Madison Memorial and Minnetonka (MN).
Because we had a schedule conflict for the Minnesota Maroon & Golf Invite weekend in 2017, we contacted the coach at Minnetonka (former Papillion LV all-American swimmer Dan Berve) to set up a double dual meet hosted by Minnetonka and including Eden Prairie. Maybe partially because Minnetonka has on of the best teams in the country this year, Coach Berve graciously offered to host us for a meet this year. We will swim a double dual on Tue. Jan. 31, 2017 at Minnetonka Middle School against Minnetonka and Eden Prairie high schools. This will be a great opportunity for the Prepsters to go up against two of the better teams in the country this year (Minnetonka and Eden Prairie went 1-2 in this year's Maroon & Golf Invite with some very impressive times).
Thank you for your support of our team, and helping us to get to the big meet in Minnesota on Jan. 31!
Click HERE to donate online now
Coach Tom Beck, ‘84