John Brennan scores perfect score on the 2013 National Latin Exam
Congratulations to John Brennan achieved a perfect score on the 2013 National Latin Exam. Only 792 students out of over 140,000 who participated in the United States, Australia, Canada, Guam, England, Italy, New Zealand, Poland, Taiwan, Indonesia,, China, Philippines, Turkey, Japan, Germany, Iran,, Zimbabwe, and the Netherlands attained this distinction. Senior Nick Mullen has won a Gold Medal in the National Latin Exam for the past four consecutive years. He will be receiving an Oxford Classical Dictionary in recognition of his accomplishment.
Advanced Placement Exams - May 13-17
From May 13-17, Advanced Placement Exams will be administered at Prep. The schedule includes: May 13, Biology & Music Theory at 7:45 a.m., Physics B, and Physics C: Mechanics at 11:45 a.m. & Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism at 2:00 p.m. May 14, United States Government at 7:45 a.m. May 15, United States History. May 16, Macroeconomics at 7:45 a.m. and Microeconomics at 11:45. May 18, Human Geography at 7:45 a.m. Testing sites vary depending upon the number of exams being administered. AP scholars should BE ON TIME, bring two #2 pencils and pens that write with blue or black ink. NO CELL PHONES ARE ALLOWED IN THE TESTING CENTERS.
CP Parents Praying with St. Ignatius – May 14
CP Parents Praying with St. Ignatius, an organization focused on uniting Prep parents, the Jesuit Community, and the Prep staff in prayerful support of Prep students. Please join us for our next meeting Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:30pm in the Prep Chapel. Social immediately following the meeting. Please consider joining us next year when we begin the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius in September.
Questions? Fr. Kevin Schneider firstname.lastname@example.org or Mark Sabaliauskas email@example.com
Adoration & Confession Opportunities May 17
Creighton Prep will offer Adoration and Confession on Friday, May 17. Adoration will occur from 7:30 am - 2:30 pm, with Confession available during both lunch hours, 11:00 - 11:45 am and 12:35 - 1:20 pm
Final Exams are May 22-24, 2013
Final Exams are May 22-24. The exam schedule is below. I hope to have the exam perfecting schedule complete by the end of this week.
Wednesday May 22
- 8:00 Theology
- 9:15 English
- 10:30 Conflict Exams
Thursday May 23
- 8:00 Science
- 9:15 World Language
- 10:30 Conflict Exams
Friday May 24
- 8:00 Mathematics
- 9:15 Social Studies
- 10:30 Conflict Exams
Book Buyback information - May 24
The Underclass Buyback is in the Commons on May 24, 2013 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. or sell online any time after June 1 at www.creightonprep.bkstr.com. Next year’s book information will be available after schedules come out in July! Click HERE to view program flyer.
Streets of Omaha Project at the Open Door Mission
On Fridays during the months of June and July, Prep students will be volunteering with the Streets of Omaha Project at the Open Door Mission. This is the same project that sophomores complete on the Faces of Christ Retreat. We will meet at 9am in front of the St. Ignatius statue outside of the commons doors and will return by 3pm. If your son would like to volunteer, contact Mr. Lawler to get information about the project. This is a great opportunity for your sons to do some service over the summer. If you have any questions, contact Mr. Lawler.
Senior Parents…Graduation expectations
Please review with your son the following expectations for the graduation ceremony.
- Remind him to be present at the graduation rehearsal in the Heider Center on Friday, May 17 at 11:00 a.m. remembering to be in dress code at graduation rehearsal. Pay special attention to hair length and facial hair. If he needs a haircut, he should schedule it prior to the graduation rehearsal.
- Caps, gowns, and graduation tickets will not be given to him unless all obligations are satisfied and he is in dress code.
- Candidates should enter Prep only through the commons entrance. Once they enter those doors they may not leave until after the ceremony. Seniors should arrive no later than 9:00 a.m. so that we can begin on time.
- Candidates are to wear dress pants, button up dress shirts with a tie, socks, and dress shoes. Students with sneakers, athletic shoes, sandals will not be allowed to participate in the ceremony.
- All other points of the Creighton Prep dress code are in effect, including expectations related to hair.
- All other points of the Student-Parent Handbook remain in effect.
- Candidates are to act with dignity for themselves, respect for others, and reverence for the ceremony. If a candidate draws attention to himself, to a cause, throws items, plays with toys, or engages in any other disruptive behavior, he will not receive his diploma and will be removed from the ceremony.
The administration and faculty look forward to seeing him walk across the stage at graduation. Please help him make responsible decisions that will keep him and others healthy and safe during this graduation season.
Senior Parents – Professional graduation photo info for ceremony
Sit back and relax at Graduation. Parker Images will take pictures of your graduate receiving his diploma. They will also video tape the Graduation ceremony.
- Photos will be available to view and order online at www.parkerimages.com.
- Click: Order, then go to Public Galleries.
- Prices for still photography will be $8.00 per 5x7, and $15.00 for 8x10’s.
- Video DVD’s will be $18.95.
Shop JayMart for graduation gifts
Jay Mart is the place to shop for graduation gifts! We have CP Alumni 1/4 zip sweatshirts, CP flags, Watercolor Prints of Prep, Prep blankets (perfect for chilly game nights) and much more! We even have Creighton Prep notecards so that they remember to write their "thank yous"
JM is open regular hours for the next two weeks (Wed, Th, Fri 10:30 - 1:30) and during Finals Week from 8 - 11 on May 22, 23, 24)
Numbers to Note…How many public schools require school uniforms?
In 2009–10, about 19 percent of public school principals reported that their school required students to wear uniforms, an increase from 12 percent in 1999–2000. Also in 2009–10, approximately 57 percent of public school principals reported that their school enforced a strict dress code, an increase from 47 percent in 1999–2000. SOURCE: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. (2012). Indicators of School Crime and Safety: 2011 (NCES 2012-002),
Focus Events of the Month of May… May 1-31, National Physical Fitness and Sports Month; May 7-18, Advanced Placement Exams; May 12, Mother’s Day; May 16, Academic /Service Awards; May 18, Baccalaureate Mass, May 19; Graduation; May 22-24, Underclass Final Exams; May 27, Memorial Day.