Creighton Preparatory School is a private, Jesuit, college preparatory school for young men founded in 1878 alongside Creighton University. John A. Creighton made good on a promise he made to his brother, Edward Creighton and Edward’s wife Mary Lucretia (Wareham) Creighton, that the family fortune would be used to create a school for boys in which education was quality, Catholic-based, open to all young men of promise and, most of all, affordable. Its initial enrollment was 120 students.
In 1958, Prep moved to its present location, a forty-acre campus on 74th and Western Avenue. Its current enrollment is 1,024. A member of the Jesuit Secondary Education Association, Creighton Prep is one of 60 Jesuit high schools throughout the country. There are also 28 Jesuit colleges and universities in the United States.
The mission of Creighton Preparatory School is to form men of faith, scholarship, leadership and service in the Catholic and Jesuit tradition. The intent is to go beyond mere academic excellence through the formation of the whole person - intellectually, physically, emotionally, socially, morally and spiritually. A young man who graduates from Creighton Prep should possess the characteristics of a graduate of a Jesuit school. Those characteristics include being open to growth, intellectually competent, religious, loving and committed to doing justice.
Traditionally, over 98 percent of Creighton Prep graduates attend a college or university. Among its alumni are Catholic bishops, judges, congressmen, chief executives, scientists and caring fathers.